Monday, October 20, 2008

Me versus I

Basically, the problem with "me" and "I" is that you don’t know which to use when listing things. Right? Right. That's ok; I'm going to show you how to figure it out.

Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and me went to visit the Tooth Fairy.
Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and I went to visit Tooth Fairy.

So which is it? All you have to do is take out the other people in the sentence and see which sounds better.

Me went to visit the Tooth Fairy.
I went to visit the Tooth Fairy.

When you say it this way "I" sounds right and "me" doesn't.

Can you help Priscilla and me carve the pumpkin?
Can you help Priscilla and I carve the pumpkin?

Again, take out the other person and see how it sounds.

Can you help me carve the pumpkin?
Can you help I carve the pumpkin?

This time "me" is correct, and while I know sometimes "I" sounds more formal or proper, it isn't actually right. Here's the rule: "I" is a pronoun that is the subject of a verb (I am the subject), and "me" is a pronoun that is the object of a verb (the object is me).

One final note - there isn't a rule about the order of the people you list, but it is polite to put yourself last.

1 comment:

MRC said...

Well, I guess you do learn something new every day! I never knew it wasn't a rule to put yourself last. I mean, I always did, but I didn't realize it was because I was being polite.